The incomparable Mediterranean Diet
Research has shown that the traditional Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of heart disease. In fact, an analysis of more than 1.5 million healthy adults demonstrated that following a Mediterranean diet was associated with a reduced risk of death from heart disease and cancer, as well as a reduced incidence of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:
· Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
· Replacing butter with healthy fats, such as olive oil
· Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
· Drinking red wine in moderation
· The diet also recognizes the importance of being physically active, and enjoying meals with family and friends.
For years Mort Satin, the Salt Guru has gone on record highlighting the benefits of the “Mediterranean” diet. This was no second or third party pitch he was making. As Director of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organizations’ Food and Agro-Industry program based in Rome, Italy for 20 years, he had ample ‘first-hand’ experience of the diet and its many health benefits. At the same time, it was clear to him that this healthful diet was being misrepresented to fit the agendas of certain individuals and organizations in the health and consumer segments. His publication on the Mediterranean Diet and its history will be of great interested to all those interested in great food and excellent health!